It’s that time of year again! Here are some of Simpson’s basic apartment maintenance tips for residents. Check out our spring maintenance checklist below to give your apartment home a tune up!
AIR CONDITIONING (AC)
Keep an eye on your AC filter. It is recommended to replace AC filters once a month. A clogged filter can cause compressor failure resulting in timely repairs so make sure to enter your spring house maintenance work orders to your community’s maintenance team. You can do this any time you notice the filter is getting dirty.
HEATING, VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING (HVAC)
Avoid restricting air flow to your HVAC return vent. This will mimic the effects of a clogged/dirty filter and will not allow for optimal heating or cooling. If you’re unsure if it is a filter issue, submit a work order for your community’s maintenance team to take a look.
Use a squeegee in your stand-up showers after every use to help prevent mildew stains.
Before running your dishwasher:
- Run hot water in the kitchen sink for about 1 minute before starting your dishwasher. Your dishwasher and hot water kitchen sink share the same line.
- Hot water (102°F) must enter the dishwasher to activate the detergent which sanitizes your dishes.
After the drying cycle:
- Open the dishwasher door to assist in releasing steam and to help prevent condensation spots on your dishes. This is especially true in humid regions.
Keep an eye on window condensation during the winter and summer months. Make sure to keep an eye on condensation build up. When there is a significant difference in temperature between the indoor temperature and the outdoor temperature, condensation will occur. Windows are notorious for this. Left unattended, it can cause moisture problems.
GLASS STOVE TOPS
- Avoid using cast iron or stone cookware as they are heavy and tend to scratch.
- Do not drag or slide pans back and forth on the glass.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners like Scotch pads, use a microfiber towel instead. Mr. Clean pads work as well.
- Do not allow spills to sit for extended period of times as they will stain.
- When using your garbage disposal, run cold water before, during, and after it has been turned on. This will keep the motor cool and assist in breaking down food particles.
- Rule of thumb: “When in doubt, throw it out.”
- If you can’t chew it, do not put it down the garbage disposal.
- Only put food that is leftover on your plate after scraping your plate clean into the garbage first.
- Use ice cubes to clean the garbage disposal. The hard ice chips help knock down the build up below the seal and in the grinder wheel.
WASHING MACHINE / DRYER
- Do not leave wet clothing in the washing machine after the cycle is complete. This will create excess moisture and with stagnant air, can lead to musty smell.
- Avoid overloading your dryer. An air gap needs to be present to effectively dry your clothing. The dryer heats up air, the air removes moisture and takes it outside via the vent and exhaust pipe. So if there isn’t enough room, the moisture isn’t able to escape.
We hope these maintenance tips for apartment living keep your home running smoothly!